Single-point, stereo mic for use in field production, electronic news gathering, and studio broadcasting.
The Shure Model VP88 is a single-point, stereo condenser microphone for use in professional studio recording, field production, electronic news gathering (ENG), and studio broadcasting applications. It combines two condenser cartridges in a single housing to create a stereo audio image of the sound source. It is unique in its ability to capture the realism of a live event and yet withstand rigorous field production environments.
One cartridge (Mid) faces forward to capture on-axis sound using a cardioid pickup pattern. The other cartridge (Side) is bi-directional, capturing sound from either side. The VP88 contains an internal M-S matrix with three settings for different degrees of stereo image separation. The internal matrix can be bypassed if an external matrix is used or if stereo imaging is done in post-production.
- Time-coherent, Mid-Side (M-S) design for optimal stereo imaging
- Built-in stereo matrix for direct control of the stereo spread; direct M-S outputs available
- Mono compatibility ideal for broadcast applications
- Low noise and distortion
- Wide dynamic range
- Switch-selectable, low-frequency rolloff (12 dB/octave below 80 Hz) for reduced pickup of ambient noise & stand vibration
- Operates on phantom power or a 6V camera battery
- LED power indicator
- Internal shock mount for reduced stand vibration and handling noise
- Built-in "pop" screen
- Includes windscreen, swivel adapter, and Y-cable